The latest two weeks have been really fun. We enjoyed testing new services integration, new improvements and deploying new features brainstormed with some of our users.
Weird thing is that, the more we deploy new features, the more our task list becomes bigger and bigger 🙂 – new ideas come out everyday and we are proud to say that we are still at the beginning.
Now, let’s talk about what is new in this release (Beta 3.4). Some of the features have been tested in the latest 2 weeks and other ones have just been deployed few hours ago:
- Organized news: few crazy spiders are currently crawling hundreds of RSS feeds from the most popular online news magazine to build up automatically sets of links for every popular news. Every set of links is supposed to contain different perspectives and not links to same articles / sources. Every spider has a Twitter profile that you can follow. The spiders are:
- worldNews (Twitter: bestWorldNews): organized world news
- sportNews (Twitter: bestSportNews): organized sport news
- techNews (Twitter: bestTechNews): organized sci-tech news
- businessNews (Twitter: bestMoneyNews): organized business news
- entertainmentNews (Twitter: bestGossipNews): organized entertainment & gossip news
- healthNews (Twitter: bestHealthNews): organized health news
- Coffee Break area (link): fancy a coffee break? Come here and get up to date with the latest and most popular web, world, sport, business, tech, health news
- Improved user’s public profile:
- For every link to a Wikipedia page, the first paragraphs will be automatically retrieved and shown in the multimedia page:
- Every website with a specified description (in the meta tags) will be displayed with a “?” icon that will show it when the pointer will roll over it:
- In the set of links modify page the first line of the description will be shown for each element (expandible)
- Improved Firefox Extension (Agglomerator) RSS Feed imports landing page:
- Amazon S3 integration: all the thumbnails and the images are now stored on Amazon S3 servers, with big improvements of performance, reliability and scalability.
Enjoy it 🙂
Agglom.com Program Manager
After 3 months from the first release we are so satisfied to see users that use Agglom to save their browser sessions, to save researches on specific topics, to share sets of links.
Most of the users use Agglom for more than twice a month and a quarter of them use our free services on a weekly or daily basis.
With the latest release, the Beta 3.2, we deployed further improvements and new features to Agglom that will empower our users experience.
These ones are::
- General performance improvements on the “organize a set of links” page.
- Agglomerator enhancements: now Firefox users can use Agglomerator not only to save in set of links all or some of their currently opened pages, but also to update the ones they previously saved.
- CoolIris (formerly PicLens) full support for image links and website thumbnails. PicLens users can now browse them in a 3D gallery.
As usual, we invite all of you to give us your feedback, your comments and to share your ideas on our GetSatisfaction – customer service account: http://getsatisfaction.com/agglom.
Hope you enjoy our services 🙂
Just a few days after the Beta 3.0 release, we have just released a new Agglom version (Beta 3.1).
Some new features:
- Suggest a link: anyone can suggest new links on any organized web session. Every new suggested link goes into an approval queue and the owner may decide to integrate it or to delete it. By default, the owner receives an email notification every time a user suggests a new link on one of her/his saved Web searchers. This notification service can be turned off in the privacy options.
- Web slideshows: for every organized web session, Agglom automatically creates a slideshow consisting of the pages stored in the session. Slideshows have a URL of their own: One example is http://www.agglom.com/webslideshow/49/Firefox_3. Slideshow URLs are listed at the top of each session’s page.
- User RSS feeds: every Agglom user profile page now has a public RSS feed that lists the sessions stored for that user. Here is one example: http://www.agglom.com/userFeeds/vctr
- Quick Add-A-Link feature: the owner can just jump to the bottom of an organized web session to add a new link, without browsing the “modify Web search” page
… some minor improvements:
- Select All / Deselect All links in the Agglomerator landing-page to select / deselect all the links
…and some fixes 🙂 on the Firefox extension, on user avatars, on the comments feature and on other minor parts.
We would like to thank Marjoilein Hoekstra (http://cleverclogs.org/), one of our users who played a very important role in this release. Marjolein brain-stormed with us on how to improve Agglom. In fact, the web slideshow feature sprouted from her mind, as well as user RSS feeds and most of the other new features and improvements in this release. Thanks!
Would better say: “Ready, Fire, Aim, Aim, Aim, Aim“.
This is our strategy. We came out a little more than 1 month ago with the first version, with almost all the functionalities but a very raw design.
Why didn’t we wait to get a better design for the first beta (1.0)?
Because we really looked forward to the feedback of the web users not only about the design, but mostly about the core services, the features, the technologies, …
So, we were ready for the first launch, we fired and now we are continuing to aim 🙂
The first time we aimed was when we launched the Beta 2.0, with a richer design and more features (major ones were “contact list”, “privacy options for saved Web searches”, FireFox extension “Agglomerator”).
Now we are really happy to announce the new Beta 3.0.
The major new changes / features are:
- Improved UI design and usability (see screenshot)
- New alghoritms for organizing automatically content by type based on link
- Support for automatical recognition of videos (Youtube, Google Video, Metacafe, Vimeo, CollegeHumor, …), presentations (Slideshare, authorSTREAM, MyPlick), audios, files, images, …
- PicLens support
- Automatically created Slidshow for inserted image galleries
- Better UI for organizing Web search results
- Better UI for browsing Web search results
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) improvements
As usual, any feedback / comment would be really appreciated 🙂
Based on the feedbacks received by our dear users, we release Beta 2.1. Here is a shortened changelist:
- Improved “View organized content” UI
- Added 2 youtube video tutorial: how to organize contents and how to use Agglomerator
- Improved Images & Video positioning
- Users are able to open all the links together on group that contains more than 1 links
- Added sitemap.xml files
- Users can associate an optional description to every type of organizable content
- Fixed a minor issue with Agglomerator (the Firefox Addon): when the user was forcing some content to be identified as something it was not (ie: identifying a non youtube video link as a youtube video link), the element was inserted as the “forced type” and eventually not displayed
- Users that checked “I don’t want to be contacted by anonymous users” won’t be contacted for change proposals on organized contents
- SEO friendly urls
- Fixed a minor issue related to grouping elements
- Fixed a minor issue related to special characters in tags
- (other minor fixes and improvements)